Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Birthday Girl's New Tattoo

One of Chelseas artsy homecoming pictures I took yeeeears ago.

I spent yesterday hanging out with my girl Chelsea, today was her birthday.  She is a great girl, full of sunshine and fun, and also one tough cookie.  We went out to lunch and chatted laughed, and the radio played nothing but her favorite songs, how very cool.

One of the things that she did was to go get a Crohns Awareness tattoo.  Some of you might remember an article I wrote for the Llewellyn Magical Almanac years ago about Magical Body art, this is the daughter I mention in that article.   She has many beautiful tattoos now.  She's also a model for many of my pieces of art, and the cover girl for my book The Voice of the Trees Companion, out this September.
Voice of the Trees Companion

So what is Crohns Disease you ask?  Crohns Disease is a cronic inflammation of the intestines that can become quite serious, she was diagnosed  3 years ago (has it been three years?) and spent a week in the hospital, including her birthday.  Not a nice birthday present.   I remember the worry, the chair I slept in, the big can of baked beans her grandpa brought as a gag gift, the iPod from her grandma loaded with funny movies, Young Frankenstein and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  I remember the rubber glove balloons and sherbet that the nurses brought her, and especially I remember her unwavering spirit that kept her and I laughing through much of a very tough time. 
Chelsea modeled for this card for Voice of the Trees, it's about facing down your fears, she went into the hospital when I was working on this one.
She's planning on attending school soon to pursue a degree in cosmetology.  Right now she works as a manager at a fast food restaurant, and even on bad days, she is friendly and focused on her job, and Gods help any kid who comes in for their shift complaining about being tired or not feeling good because they partied to hard the night before.  "Oh, really, well I have Crohns Disease and feeling really bad today myself, and I'm still smiling and working, so knock it off and get on that grill!"  All said with her trademark enchanting smile and a flash of the eye.  She takes it all in stride.
Chelsea and I at a festival years ago, she's a great assistant.
So her tattoo?  It's a dark purple ribbon for Crohns awareness and text that reads, "I've got guts"  Yes, it really has a double meaning, that's her sense of humor, I love it. 


Happy Birthday Chelsea, you are a shining light when all other lights have gone out! 

Here is a link to the Crohns Awareness website, if you or anyone you love has it, share it with them, lots of good information.  It's an important cause for me, not just Chelsea, but my mom has it too, and I have IBS, so bad guts, good hearts!

5 comments:

  1. great pictures i love the blue dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great way to draw attention and respect to Crohns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a inspiring post, I have know many people with Crohns, done show the courage your daughter does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Chelsea! Sounds like you two had an awesome day together! I have a real good friend he has had Crohn's disease for years and is super fun to be around. Sure he has his bad days, but he sure does love life! Blessings to you and your family!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Your comments mad Chelseas day! Lots of people have Crohns, of course you don't realize that until you or someone close to is diagnosed. And the challenge is that it's slightly different for everyone, it's learning what you can and can't eat, and what helps the individual. There are lots of good websites out there for information and support.
    hugs all around!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your feedback, please leave a note on my old wooden art table!