Monday, January 17, 2011

Magical Movie Monday: The Princess Bride











This quotable classic is one of my favorite magical movies, having seen it about a million times, and I could watch it a million more. This movie is from 1987, and is a classic fairy tale directed by Rob Reiner. The story is introduced when a sick kid(Fred Savage) in bed playing with his 1987 game system, gets a visit from his grandfather (Peter Falk) who brings along The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern to read to his sick grandson, much to the boys dismay. Little by little the boy is drawn into the magical world and by the end doesn't even mind grandpa reading "the kissing part!"





The beautiful Buttercup (the stunning Robin Wright) and Westley, (the dashing Cary Elwes) the farm boy, have fallen in love. Westley goes off to make his way in the world, and soon after Buttercup receives word that Wesleys ship was attacked by the Dread Pirate Roberts, who never takes prisoners, so Wesley is assumed dead. Prince Humperdink discovers Buttercup and has decided to make her his bride, the grieving Buttercup agrees, and this is where the plot thickens. On the eve of her wedding she is kidnapped by an interesting band of thugs the kindly and poetic giant Fezzik (Andre the Giant) charming master swordsman Indigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) and led by Vizzini the Sicilian, played by the hilarious Wallace Shawn. Vizzini makes it his job to start wars between countries, and dubiously considers himself to be very clever.







In case there is anyone in the world who hasn't seen this movie, I'll avoid spoilers, but I will tell you that included in this story is a brush with death from the screaming eels, a harrowing climb up the Cliffs of Insanity, the most amazing sword fight in the history of film,





a battle of wits to the death, the Fire Swamp, R.O.U.S.'s (rodents of unusual size) ultimate suffering, a miracle, a flaming holocaust cloak, revenge, mercy and yes, even true love! Whew, I'm telling you, this movie has it all!
As you are enchanted by the clever story, script, and acting in this film, you'll also notice that the costuming, set design and beautiful scenery are all also top notch. I love to draw or paint while this movie plays in the background, it is very inspiring, and keeps me amused while I work.




One of the many great scenes is when the heroes end up at the house of Miracle Max and his wife, played by Billy Crystal and Carol Kane. Max used to be the sorcerer to the king, but Prince Humperdink fired him. Max manages to make a "miracle pill" to revive our hero who after a short stint in a torture chamber is "mostly dead." But not all dead, as Max points out, "If they're all dead, all you can do is go through their pockets for loose change."
Peter Cook plays the funniest minister I have ever seen, and I like to quote him at wedding rehearsals just to break the ice.





If you've never seen this one, or even if you have and want to see it again, set your DVR to record it Sunday Jan 23, on AMC click here for the schedule!


Monday Movie Featured Item:

The Goddess Rhiannon also was rescued from a marriage she didn't want by her true love, just like Buttercup! You can read about it in The Mabinogion.  This Rhiannon oval compact mirror is fit for a princess!  Available in our Etsy Shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/MickieMuellerStudio


Happy Monday!



6 comments:

  1. One of my favorites movies! I have seen it a million times too. And, as you say, I could watch it a million more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice! One of my favorite movies!~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite movies, too! Yo're right -- it has it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, i do love dropping by your blog, than you for the reminder, i seem to be on a real catch up on old films already this year & shall be watching this again for sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this movie, we just watched it again the other night! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geneva 'Kinda tha Giant'March 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

    I'm a 14 (soon to be 15) year old girl and I was looking for movies to check out up here in a cherter school and soon as I look in the back I screamed happily. I remembered the giant but I didn't know from which movie. I quickly checked it and ran to my room and through-out the whole movie I smiled hard and said I remeber him/that. After the movie I remembered this was my favorite movie when I was very small. It's still my favorite movie now that I found it once again :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your feedback, please leave a note on my old wooden art table!